Monday, August 24, 2026

Judge Not

It seems everywhere I turn, I’m seeing the “don’t judge me” mantra among Christians and sinners alike. Let me toss out a few things worth considering.

1.      A judgement that someone or something is good, right, just, or righteous is still a judgment. When someone stands in a courtroom and a verdict of “innocent” is handed down, they have been judged just as much as if the verdict had been “guilty.” But you don’t ever see anyone upset about being judged to be “right.”

2.      Stating that something is sin based on the Word of God is not the speaker judging anyone doing that thing. It’s stating what the Word says. If you are doing something the Word says is wrong and hearing that bothers you, that’s called “conviction” and you should be thankful for it instead of starting the “don’t judge me” chant to make yourself feel better. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

3.      Everyone’s favorite “don’t judge” passage is Matthew 7:1-5. So, let’s look at that. First, it says “Judge not that ye be not judged FOR, with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.” Or, as the NLT finishes the last part of that: “The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.” In other words, before you judge, make sure you realize others will judge you by the same measuring stick. If you are going to use the Word of God as the standard, PLEASE judge me – I need all the help I can get making sure I have everything square before I stand before God for the final judgment.

4.      1 John 4:1 commands us to try the spirits to see if they be of God. In other words, JUDGE the spirits and make sure it’s the real thing.

5.      Matthew 7:15 warns us to beware of false prophets that come in sheep’s clothing. How are we are supposed to determine that they are false prophets if we don’t examine what they preach, compare it to the Word of God, and judge it to be false? Also, if they are coming in sheep’s clothing, not shepherd’s clothing, you might consider that some of these false prophets are other “saints” sitting on the pew with you fussing about how “it doesn’t take all that” to get to heaven, or your good friend agreeing with what you want to do, rather than preachers. We need to beware of EVERY voice, even those we like.

6.      Romans 16:17-18 tells us to “mark” those who cause offense or teach false doctrine and avoid them because they are not serving God and are deceiving people. How do I know who to “mark”? I look at their words and their actions and I judge them based on the Word of God. The Bible doesn’t say to smile and go along with them to be kind – it says to avoid them and admit they are not serving God.

7.      2 Timothy 3 tells us that there will be people who have a certain amount of Godliness, but they don’t have the power and we are to turn away from them. Once again – we have to make a judgement in order to turn away!

8.      Galatians 6:1 instructs us to restore someone caught in a transgression (sin) in gentleness. But for me to choose to restore someone, I have to judge their actions sinful. With that said, the phrase “restore him in GENTLENESS” is part of that verse. You can be direct and still be gentle, but being gentle is not optional.

9.      1 Corinthian 2:15 says a spiritual person judges all things.

10. 1 Peter 4:17  For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

 

We have no choice but to make judgements if we are going to serve God. When you see scriptures about NOT judging, it is inevitably in the context of not judging UNTIL you have checked your own heart (Matthew 7:3-5; Romans 2:1-3), not judging someone based on anything other than the Word of God (Matthew 7:1-2; John 7:24), or not judging someone for something that is a personal conviction or an opinion (Romans 14:1-13).

One final thought – I wonder if some people don’t realize that a “righteous” judgment in the house of God very well might be what helps them see their mistake so that they are judged righteous by Christ in the final judgement. I would far rather someone help me find the problems now while I have time to correct them.

John 12:48 But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken.

Revelation 20:11-12 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.  And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

No comments:

Post a Comment